Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Apple-Cheddar Soup










This is a 2007 Better Homes and Gardens recipe that I found filed among my 8 or 10 notebooks of recipes I gathered from the Internet, magazines and library cookbooks. It's a handy way to use any leftover cider, but it's also worth buying it just for this recipe. I make a few changes, such as adding more thyme -- one of my favorite herbs and a great perennial -- and cooking the soup a bit longer before adding the flour-milk mixture. I also doubled it so we could enjoy it for a few days; it tastes even better the second day and we like soup as a main course. I've incorporated my changes. I don't remember what I served with this; I'm catching up on posts I meant to make earlier. I'm guessing salad and bread, though.

Apple-Cheddar Soup


1  cup finely chopped onion
2  tbsp. butter
4  medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups apple cider
1 heaping tbsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1  tsp. salt
Dash cayenne pepper
2  medium cooking apples, peeled, coarsely chopped
1  cup milk
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
8  oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
  Fresh apple slices
  Green Peppercorns (optional; Joe's not crazy about pepper, so I skipped it)

Directions

1. In large saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add chopped apple; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. In small bowl combine milk and flour; stir into soup. Cook and stir until bubbly. Slowly add cheese, whisking until cheese is melted.
2. Divide soup among serving dishes; top with apple slices and peppercorns. Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings

Nutrition Facts

Calories 352, Total Fat (g) 16, Saturated Fat (g) 10, Monounsaturated Fat (g) 4, Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 1,
Cholesterol (mg) 48, Sodium (mg) 527, Carbohydrate (g) 32, Total Sugar (g) 10, Fiber (g) 4,
Protein (g) 12, Vitamin A (DV%) 0, Vitamin C (DV%) 31, Calcium (DV%) 27, Iron (DV%) 9,
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

No comments: